Table of Contents
The owner of a Leeds car boot has responded to complaints after ‘thousands’ of people went to the sale over the weekend.
The car boot sale near Leeds Bradford Airport had been criticised by residents and visitors after it saw ‘thousands of people’ arrive in hunt of a bargain.
It followed the Government announcing on Friday, September 25, Leeds was being placed under the new rules after a worrying rise in cases over the past few weeks.
With the infection rate now standing at more than 100 cases per 100,000 people, local lockdown rules mean households in Leeds are banned from mixing inside other homes or gardens and meeting up in public places is strongly advised against.
After residents vented their frustrations, the owner of the car boot sale has now spoken out on the allegations – insisting they take all precautions to ensure everyone is safe.
Owner, Jerome, who has run car boot markets around the country for over 30 years, added he is constantly inspected by Leeds City Council, as well as West Yorkshire Police, who have an issue with the policing of the event so far.
Jerome said: “I’ve been running car boot markets for around 30 years all over the country with Leeds Bradford Airport the longest and most successful.
“I have several others throughout the country at football stadiums and race courses from Leeds to Bristol.
“Since the reopening of car boots in June some 16 weeks ago, we have had no complaints regarding any of my sites until now at Leeds from the same person.
“Every week I’m inspected by Leeds City Council markets department and have regular visits from the police, which have passed the event every week and this Sunday.
“As you are aware, we are monitored and work very hard on social distancing and sanitizer areas around the site, we also have stewards walking round the site all day.
“I am sure the persons who complained really hasn’t been to the site.
“I’ve got loads of pictures from this and last week and I’m sure you can see a great-run car boot sale which will still be running for another 30 years.”
Adding to this, Leeds City Council said it saw no issue.
A spokesperson said: “Council officers and police officers visited the event during the day and found no instances where people were not adhering to social distancing.
“We take these matters very seriously and will be continuing our visits to events such as this over the coming weeks.”
Earlier today, it was reported a Leeds man would be facing a £10,000 fine for holding a wedding with up to 300 guests on his land in Leeds on Saturday evening.